A new way of looking at the Niantic Project website

A new way of looking at the Niantic Project website
As part of working on the ADA (for programmers) project, the first thing we needed to do was collect any information about her that we could, starting from the beginning. Trying to go through all of that info started getting... tedious.

Early on after I'd joined Essex and started looking over the info from the original website, I found code in the HTML source that I could use to display the info in a way that would be much easier to navigate than the board itself. I started work on it back then and got it functional, but when I realized it would be incredibly useful now, I decided to go back and "finish" it.

I put that in quotes because given that I do it for a living, it's nowhere near what I'd consider a "finished" website. But it's readable, and it makes going through the info SO much faster. ADA project aside, it's a really fast way to go through and look for anything. Or like my friend is doing, to go through and become more familiar with the story in the order it was presented.

I figured other people here might also find it useful, so I decided to share. Just be gentle, I'd call this a pre-alpha release. But hey, what better testers? :-)
ocdcoder[dot]org/ingress-niantic-releases[dot]html

(Apologies for the obfuscated URL, I'm doing everything I can to keep this site hidden from the search engines for now.)

As I say on the main page, I am still working on it. I haven't had time to closely examine all 1463(!) items to make sure they're displaying exactly right. (For a few, I had to put in special code specifying title and date to fix broken HTML that was wrecking the entire page. At least I think I got all of those fixed now.)

Oh, also as I say on the main page, this is only the info from the website and we're now... eight months past that? We plan to go through the Wiki and start adding those, after first going through the months we do have and adding all of the hidden releases that weren't listed on the site. We'd LOVE some help with that if anyone wants to volunteer. We need the info, but I don't want it to take too much away from the original ADA project.

(Here's where I add again that I think abandoning the website was a terrible idea. At the very least, a user account used for JUST posting story releases would be really helpful.)

Anyway, questions, comments, bug reports, OFFERS OF HELP all welcome. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

<base...

Akira Tsukasa and DeepMind