When I started discovering the world through the view of the scanner, I was fascinated by the concept of glyphs.



When I started discovering the world through the view of the scanner, I was fascinated by the concept of glyphs. What interested me the most was whether it was possible to draw glyphs efficiently.

And so my "Geometry: Glyph-Edition"-Project started.

At first I took a good look at the Glyph-Board. It contained of 11 total visible nodes and (for reference when drawing and measuring distances) 24 equilateral triangles with a side-length of 1.

To make it easier to "describe", I labeled all nodes Line by Line from top to bottom and left to right. Starting with node "A" at the top, node B in the top-left corner, node C in the top-right corner etc. (See the attached fotos for a better image)

The glyph IGNORE for example (between node H and J) has length 1 and the glyph SIMPLE (between node G and H) has length 2*sin(pi/3).

Using that formula (and a bit more math for difficult things like the long parts of THEM, VICTORY, and the "imperfect" trick, etc) I started structuring glyphs by their distance required to draw them.

UNBOUNDED - as most of you won't be surprised by - is a glyph that requires a LOT of distance but it isn't the only one: OPEN-ALL also requires your fingers to move 12+6sin(pi/3). That's roughly 17,2 and that makes these two the most lengthy glyphs currently known to the scanner

To satisfy my curiosity I searched for glyphs with a "unique" distance and there are a few:
* Creativity (3 + sqrt(2,5² + sin(pi/3)²) ~ 5,64)
* Hide (6*sin(pi/3) + 1 ~ 6,19)
* Imperfect (4 + sin(pi/3) + sqrt(0,25² + (1,5 * sin(pi/3))² ~ 6,38)
* Begin (4 + sqrt(2,5² + sin(pi/3)²) ~ 6,64)
* Technology (7)
* Journey (8)
* Knowledge (2 + 2 * sqrt(2,5² + sin(pi/3)²) ~ 8,92
* Victory (4 * sin(pi/3) + 2 * sqrt(2,5² + sin(pi/3)²) ~ 10,39)
* Peace (4 + 4*sin(pi/3)
* All (12)
* Clear-All (16)


So far so good. But what do we do with all that knowledge?

I've started looking at already documented Glyph-Sequences and writing down how "efficient" these sequences are: how much distance does your finger move total and how far does your finger move while touching the display?
Obviously all L1 sequences have an efficiency of 100% as there is only one glyph and no moving in between glyphs.

Assuming that you draw in an efficient way, the Glyph-Sequence "GAIN TRUTH ACCEPT/OPEN HUMAN SOUL" for example would have an efficiency of 96,2% (as you only need to move once between glyphs and only a very short distance).

I've yet to look at other sequences but I wanted to provide a first look :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

<base...

Akira Tsukasa and DeepMind