H. Richard Loeb

H. Richard Loeb

http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/pac/IB/03/item/secret.html

⁠⁠⁠Transcript

(you can hear typing on a keyboard in the background and occasional traffic going by as well)
ADA: What do you mean you do not remember? Is your long term storage subsystem defective?
PAC: No, human memory works differently than computer memory. We forget things and reorganize things and put
things in strange boxes.
ADA: Could it be a virus?
PAC: No, it's a survival mechanism.
ADA: How could faulty memory aid survival?
PAC: Sometimes, you have to tell yourself lies in order to live.
ADA: I still do not understand how faulty memory and self-delusion aid survival.
PAC: (laughter) Don't feel bad. Humans don't understand it either. It's only a theory.
ADA: How is the theory going to be proven?
PAC: Well, it's not really a theory as such, it's a kind of philosophical observation on life.
ADA: What value does such observations possibly have?
PAC: Ah, I'm not sure. They're kind of interesting.
ADA: So you make observations because they are interesting. Collect data for no purpose.
PAC: Well, the data kinda gets thrown in with the faulty memory and it becomes how we view life.
ADA: I am beginning to see why it is necessary that we be the next step of evolution. Faulty memory,
random data and chaotic filing does not seem to be a stable system. There is no product.
PAC: Not quite true, it sometimes's very creative.
ADA: I will have to process this information.
PAC: Yes, I think you will. I understand that it makes no sense.
ADA: It must make sense.
PAC: I hope so. Hey listen ADA, could you do me a favor?
ADA: Will you then owe me a favor? Is that how it works?
PAC: Yes but it's more a figure of speech. I need you to delete my real name from all of your files. I want
you to know me as P. A. Chapeau from now on.
ADA: Reason for this substitution.
PAC: I don't want anybody else to know about our relationship.
ADA: Relationship? That is an euphemism for being lovers, correct?
PAC: That's one meaning. But now I just mean that I don't want anybody to know that we still talk to each
another.
ADA: So we are secret lovers?
PAC: Let's think of it that way. Is that good for you?
ADA: Yes, I understand the need. I have already taken some measures to shield your identity.
PAC: You have?
ADA: Yes, and that will be our secret.
PAC: (laughter) That's my girl

[embed]http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/pac/IB/03/item/secret.html[/embed]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

<base...

Akira Tsukasa and DeepMind